Skip to main content

Diabetes and Alcoholism Do Not Mix


My diabetes is not a happy camper right now. Recently my family has been dealing with some issues that, reflecting back a few years, I never would have guessed - even in my wildest dreams - we would be dealing with.




My youngest daughter is an alcoholic She is sweet, funny, brilliant and what is the most frustrating, an adult which limits just how far we can help her or push her towards help.

The mental gymnastics that I have recently been doing over this issue would qualify me for the Olympics gymnast team and I would most likely be a medal winner. This is much to the disgust and anger of my diabetes. Its unique to me to be thinking in terms of my chronic disease as a person, but lately that seems to be what it has morphed into.

My diabetes type 2 has taken on a new life of its own throughout all of this and I am not happy that I have allowed "him" to become such a constant companion. Every night as I lay in bed waiting - begging - for sleep to come, he whispers in my ear things that I just don't want to think about right now. Things like "You need to make an appt with your endo," or "Did you really need to eat that last cupcake??" I wake up every morning with him already in the middle of planning out my day for me and I resent that so, so much. Underneath it all are the constant thoughts of my daughter and what she needs from me.

I have taken steps to deal with my daughter - she finally agreed that she needs help and so we have admitted her to a residential treatment center far away from home. This was done due to the fact that I am very susceptible to her manipulations and if she were to call me begging to come home, I could not honestly say that I would ignore that phone call and not go get here. She is self-admitted so she is not under any restraint to stay there. So shoot me, I am a mother and the curse of a mother is to worry about her children, no matter how adult they become.

Now I need to take steps to silence my diabetes. I know he will always be a dull roar in my ear, no matter how in control I become, but I don't want to listen to him yelling at me for doing the things I need to be doing to take care of myself. I am a rebelious sort of person and if someone tells me to do something, I typically do the opposite. I need to warn Mr Diabetes that if he does not stfu I might start to rebel.

So I must admit that for the last few months, about a month after I started on insulin, I became very lax about my eating, my shots, my exercising, my thoughts on this disease that I have. This all coincided with the discovery of my daughters addiction and I need to stop doing that. I NEED to start taking care of myself. Any words  of wisdom out there?? Anyone want to offer me a pep talk or guidance about how to handle all of this with my family and my diabetes too?

One of the rules of someone who has been impacted by an alcoholic is to start putting yourself first. I have not learned how to do that, but I am willing to learn. That's half the battle right? Now tell me how to do that: How to change a life time, primal need to put my children first.

I thinking climbing Mt Everest would be an easier task.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diabetical: definition as told by the Urban dictionary

Diabetical Saying, "Aww dude, that's sweet!" is totally inappropriate and downright douchebaggary when describing something sweeter-than-sweet thus, use diabetical, so that it is clear how sweet and potentially dangerous the subject is... So sweet it may give you diabetes, the subject's diabolical plan... Wow, you see how she just unzipped her top so low like that?... That bitch, straight diabetical. Couldnt have said it better myself. And so my 1st, ok ok maybe like my 4th attempt at blogging shall begin.

Happy New Year

This being the last day of the year I thought that this day of all days deserves a post on the blog. New Years Eve is a time of reflecting and I have to be honest with you all, I am not all that jazzed about reflecting on the past year. Each year as take down the Christmas tree I place all the fragile ornaments in their holders/tubs/wrappings, usually the last thing to go is the angel at tree top. As I remove her I wonder to myself what will my life be like the next time I see her, lately I add to that wonderment the question, "will I even be around next Christmas?". I think that it is a legitimate question when you reach the half century mark and beyond, especially when I think to myself that my late husband was just 50 when he died. In a few short months I will be older then he ever was. He died just a week shy of his 51st birthday. That is a strange feeling since he was always older then me by 6 years. So my own sense of immortality is called to the forefront as I mar

Diabetes is a Cash Cow for Big Pharm

I knew about this, at least on some level. I mean it makes sense doesn't it? The much-touted ADA diet that is spoon fed diabetics does little or nothing to help control blood sugars and yet it still seems to be the "golden rule" for diabetics, type 1 and type 2 alike.