Skip to main content

Where to begin....


I have started a ridiculous amount of blogs in my life, but like a lot of things in my life, I just never finish them. One of those personality traits I need to work on, either that or I am a closet ADD'r and just too old to do a friggin thing about it.

About the only thing I have completed in my life is being a mother, and trust me there have been times I wish I could have chucked that out the window as well, the saying "I believe in retroactive abortion" became my mantra throughout some of the kids growing up. But be-that-as-it-may, I am a mother and still am a mother, though with the last of the chicks having flown the nest (albeit a forced flight) I don't feel like I am completely immersed in the day to day, hour to hour, minute to excruitiating minute of being a full fledged parent, but just about the time I get complacent in my current parental status, something happens that calls me back to my full-fledged status.

God I do ramble on, this is not at all what I had intended my first post to be about, so one moment please while I redirect my brain and get back to the matter at hand..............................................................................................................................

Ok thats better. Here is my history in as brief a version as I can make it. I am born...LOL no really I was born, but no need in going back that far.

I am a 50 year old woman, currently in the body of a 79 year old woman - but that is changing - two months ago it was closer to the body of a 90 year old woman. Now don't get me wrong, I hope when I am 90 I look this good, but I think the idea here is to say " Lady, you are 50 years old and you are as healthy as a 90 year old woman" which is not really a good thing. My mother is 82 and I dread feeling like she does, both mentally and physically. Ok so health wise I have some things to work on and I am doing just that. I am diabetic, I eat like shit - well I did, remember I am going back to the 90 year old age. My breasts are questionable (according to a mamo) and my vagina is turning into my enemy (according to my latest Pap) I suffered my first case of sciatica a few months ago and I have never, this includes giving birth 3 times, been in such pain. The pain lingers and there is a defecit on that side, so now I am a 50/90 year old woman who walks with a limp, whose hoo hoo is rotting off and breasts are dragging the ground hiding possible cancer indications.

I am a remarried widow, and it only took me 5 times to get that right ( yes you read that correctly I have been married 5 times. No they all didn't end in widowhood, (although there were a couple of them I wish would have) but I have made peace with all of that.

I have 3 kids, youngest is 19 and is going through some health issues of her own, but let her get her own blog cuz this one is about me.

I was raised in Arizona and I became accustomed to having every minute drop of water sucked from my body in the summer when it is 115 degrees and 2% humidity, I got used to having an avg yearly rainfall of .00000004, and realizing that when the sun sets it might not get below 100 degrees in mid summer. I was happy with all that, it was really all that I knew. Then I remarried after the death of my husband.

A lovely man who has an adorable accent that I berate him about losing and his becoming more and more americanized as time goes on. But he is not only good at being a husband he is good at his job and recently was offered a managment position that has required us relocating to Florida. Aside from the immense amount of sun and the heat, Arizona and Florida are about as similar as night and day, and I am trying to adjust. Instead of tarantulas the size of toasters crawling in my house in the early morning hours, I am dealing with birds on steriods the size of ostriches that love to stand outside my enclosed( thankgod) patio and honk/croak at my dogs who are in turn barking their best "get the hell out of here you ugly freak" bark. Instead of dry early mornings that go from a comfy 80 degrees to 100 degrees as soon as the sun hits the horizon I am dealing with 75 degrees and 90 % humdity leaving everything dew covered including my dogs as they happily run off to chase the poopy ducks ( Muscovy ducks that poop on EVERYTHING) into the lake sometimes ending up in the lake with them. They then return and stare at me with complete indignance as if to say " why the fuck didnt you tell me there was a lake there" Instead of a few mosquitos lazily floating around easily swatted away who disintegrate as the heat of the day hits their bodies, I am dealing with becoming a walking banquet each time I step out of the shelter of my house. Frogs. Ok we have frogs in Arizona, but they are normally found out near the VERY few water sources that dot the landscape in Arizona, here we have hoards that like to stick themselves to the walls and windows of the house each evening, and for dogs, old petrified frog carcasses make great chew toys.

Speaking of frogs, we were walking the dogs the other night and suddenly found my arm being yanked from it socket. I followed the lead down to the offending dog (Chili) and he was doing his best to get up close and personal to something under a small tree nearby. Now my eyes are not the best, diabetes has taken its toll on them, so all I could see was the trunk of the tree, soon all three dogs were in the vacinity of Chili doing the same "leave my feet as far back from this as I can while stretching my neck to the point of dislocation to figure out what this odd creature might be". I think they convince themselves they would have a good head start in distance if their legs remain 2 feet back from the rest of their body, just in case this might pose some threat to their little doggie selves.

I started to walk closer to see what it was that was causing the ruckus and all of a sudden one of the biggest bullfrogs I have ever seen in my life came hopping out of the huddle of dog noses. The 3 dogs reacted to this sudden movement by scattering with all the grace of a bull in a china shop knocking each other over to get away from this thing that could reach heights of incredible proportion. Cheddar (who is the smallest of the three, yet has little man complex and thinks he is the toughest) started yelping from fright, and I am not sure but I think the others peed on themselves. I pee'd on myself laughing. Ok no one is allowed to repeat that, I am old I have weak bladdar syndrome.

Anyway, so this is a bit of a culture shock to me. A desert rat who is attempting to redefine herself into a swamp rat and it is not a pretty site many times. But I am nothing if not resourceful and I must find a way. Sort of sink or swim, and believe me with all the lakes/ponds/sinkholes/gulf of Mexico/Atlantic Ocean/rivers/creeks/rain/ there are plenty of places to swim in this strange little peninsula they call the state of Florida.

Next up....Hurricanes. OMG hurricanes?!?!?!

Comments

  1. Thanks for the update. Rob told me you'd mentioned me in a board post and were considering starting up again, so I've had my eye out for a post.

    Sorry to hear about the health issues. I am finally regaining myself through yoga. You should try it for the back stuff. I talked Rob into it and he reluctantly admitted that it helps a wee bit. Yin practice if you can find it or just gentle Hatha (though realignment is the best place to start if you are going Hatha).

    Cool about your business taking off.

    Keep posting. I'll keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three main thoughts have come to mind:

    1. There is no such thing as 'completing" a blog. That defeats the purpose! :)

    2. I'll bet your lovely man still has most of his charming accent. Most likely what has happened is you have picked up some of his dialect, and he has picked up some of yours, so you two ar beginning to sound more alike.

    On that note, I was a born and bred Yankee, but when I moved to OK and married my cowboy, I picked up a bit of his wonderful Western drawl. Now that he is gone and I am married to fellow Yankee Arthur, I have lost some of that. sigh.

    3. I am so HAPPY that you are blogging again! Yippee! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Stella you do have a point, blogs are inherently an open ended form of ...what? communication? lol I never thought of it that way, I just wish I could settle on a name and stick to it, and a theme, and a blog service lol. My inspiration is you, Alisha and Annie you guys seem to have it down... tips please!

    And no I will not let Mike off that easy lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Diabetical: definition as told by the Urban dictionary

Diabetical Saying, "Aww dude, that's sweet!" is totally inappropriate and downright douchebaggary when describing something sweeter-than-sweet thus, use diabetical, so that it is clear how sweet and potentially dangerous the subject is... So sweet it may give you diabetes, the subject's diabolical plan... Wow, you see how she just unzipped her top so low like that?... That bitch, straight diabetical. Couldnt have said it better myself. And so my 1st, ok ok maybe like my 4th attempt at blogging shall begin.

Happy New Year

This being the last day of the year I thought that this day of all days deserves a post on the blog. New Years Eve is a time of reflecting and I have to be honest with you all, I am not all that jazzed about reflecting on the past year. Each year as take down the Christmas tree I place all the fragile ornaments in their holders/tubs/wrappings, usually the last thing to go is the angel at tree top. As I remove her I wonder to myself what will my life be like the next time I see her, lately I add to that wonderment the question, "will I even be around next Christmas?". I think that it is a legitimate question when you reach the half century mark and beyond, especially when I think to myself that my late husband was just 50 when he died. In a few short months I will be older then he ever was. He died just a week shy of his 51st birthday. That is a strange feeling since he was always older then me by 6 years. So my own sense of immortality is called to the forefront as I mar

Diabetes is a Cash Cow for Big Pharm

I knew about this, at least on some level. I mean it makes sense doesn't it? The much-touted ADA diet that is spoon fed diabetics does little or nothing to help control blood sugars and yet it still seems to be the "golden rule" for diabetics, type 1 and type 2 alike.