Skip to main content

Of money and medicine



Ok so there is A L O T wrong with our health care system, I think just about everyone agrees with that, but in my opinion just about all the health care initiatives, reforms, and revamps are simply going to put a very small bandage over a VERY gapping wound...it really does not matter what the gov't attempts to implement it simply will not be enough and the part of the medical community ( the VERY LARGE part) that wants to make money will find away around whatever is passed and set into motion. If medicine does not get rich on it, it will not last long...mark my words. Just like Wall Street the money pig of medicine will keep chanting "feed me"

Today I had my second experience with the medical community here in Florida. The first one was ok, not the best. My doctor is nice enough, seems to know her stuff and seems interested in her patients. Her office staff maybe not be so much. They have managed to get my birthdate wrong in their system which has brought my benefits to a screeching halt. God forbid the insurance advocate who might push through payment of a bill when the birthdate is off by a digit....oh no that can't happen! So while I deal with that I am continuing with the other things such as a follow up mammogram. The first films were taken in Arizona and the doctor reading them decided I needed additional ones for a complete evaluation...something about nodules and density - I dunno. This was one week prior to my relocation to Florida so doctor in yuma felt that Florida was advanced enough technologically speaking to continue on with the task, so that is what I decided to do.

:insert decision regretting face here:

After suffering through terminal hold, incompetent schedulers, clueless file record clerks AND supervisors, convincing them to mail the medical release form I needed to sign to get my films from Arizona, my husband faxing them back from his work... I finally got my appointment two farking days before my follow up with the doctor, I think she was hoping that I would have had my films by this time and we could go over them see if there really is cause for concern. HAH.

Now you have to understand something here, making an appointment is a touchy thing for me. The facility to which I am to go in this case is about a 30 minute drive from me. At the moment we only have one car and my husbands work is about 20 minutes in another direction, so I had to get up early, time it so that I could get him to work and still make my appointment never mind trying to figure out how to navigate the alligator ponds and sand cranes that cross the 2 lane hwy as we drive out to "nowhere" florida.

So appointment was set and I showed up, 10 minutes early even! I am busy steeling myself for the requisite boob squishing and they call my name.

TECH: "Ms. Rodriguez, do you have your films with you?"
ME: "No, you have them"
TECH: "I don't see them here"
TECH: "I can't do this today if I cant find your films"
ME: "Why?"
TECH "This is a request for additional films to complete the evaluation, I have to be able to see what I am suppose to be looking for"
ME: "you are looking for abnormalities"
TECH: "Yes ma'am I know that, but I need to see why the additional films were ordered and what area I need to concentrate on"
ME: "You need to concentrate on both boobs and look for something that might be alarming to my doctor and me, why am I telling you your job?"
TECH: Ma'am there is no reason to get short with me, I am trying to do my job"
ME: "Well ya see, I am getting short with you because I was told I could fax in my medical release - by-the-way which I did two weeks ago and that you would take care of getting my films. Now someone has apparently dropped the ball here and it wasn't me. Why was an appointment even made for me? If you need my films in hand before you can do this?!"
TECH: "It should not have been made"
ME: I know that, WHY was it made?
TECH "I don't think whomever made your appt. knows, see we have a central scheduling dept over in BFE Hernando County, and then our records dept is over in BFE Pasco County, and I am thinking that your faxed medical release might have ended up at our central warehouse in BFE BFE County."
ME: "WTF? Don't you think this is a critical piece of information that your central scheduling dept needs to know - Not making appts that cant be completed - before the patient drives herself about an hour to make the appointment?!?!"

And so it went to the point that I left frustrated and infuriated and just about fed up with the business side of medicine. There is no one to even call, it is all computerized and if your films are not in the computer, then by god they dont have them!

I get to go through this whole ridiculous fiasco again the Wed before Thanksgiving. If my films are not there by then, then I think I am going to just tell me doc to hack the puppies off they are not worth the stress.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diabetical: definition as told by the Urban dictionary

Diabetical Saying, "Aww dude, that's sweet!" is totally inappropriate and downright douchebaggary when describing something sweeter-than-sweet thus, use diabetical, so that it is clear how sweet and potentially dangerous the subject is... So sweet it may give you diabetes, the subject's diabolical plan... Wow, you see how she just unzipped her top so low like that?... That bitch, straight diabetical. Couldnt have said it better myself. And so my 1st, ok ok maybe like my 4th attempt at blogging shall begin.

Happy New Year

This being the last day of the year I thought that this day of all days deserves a post on the blog. New Years Eve is a time of reflecting and I have to be honest with you all, I am not all that jazzed about reflecting on the past year. Each year as take down the Christmas tree I place all the fragile ornaments in their holders/tubs/wrappings, usually the last thing to go is the angel at tree top. As I remove her I wonder to myself what will my life be like the next time I see her, lately I add to that wonderment the question, "will I even be around next Christmas?". I think that it is a legitimate question when you reach the half century mark and beyond, especially when I think to myself that my late husband was just 50 when he died. In a few short months I will be older then he ever was. He died just a week shy of his 51st birthday. That is a strange feeling since he was always older then me by 6 years. So my own sense of immortality is called to the forefront as I mar

Diabetes is a Cash Cow for Big Pharm

I knew about this, at least on some level. I mean it makes sense doesn't it? The much-touted ADA diet that is spoon fed diabetics does little or nothing to help control blood sugars and yet it still seems to be the "golden rule" for diabetics, type 1 and type 2 alike.