Skip to main content

Thanksgiving and type 2 diabetes

With the holidays just around the corner, I thought this might be a good time to mention my approach to eating during this time of the year. There are no real tricks to my approach, just some common sense views and ways to avoid the pitfalls that diabetics face while everyone else stuffs themselves. The typical Thanksgiving fair is tough on a diabetic, and there are diabetics who say "ey wth, its one day a year, I am going to splurge and then go back to all the restrictions the day after" I cant do this. I have learned that it takes me just one bad meal to reorganize my brain into thinking it can eat anything that it wants. Call this poor self-control, or no will-power - call it what you want but it is how my brain works. For this reason if I go off the wagon once it takes me weeks or months to get back on. So I just avoid the whole issue and continue to make good choices even when temptation is spread out before me. So here at The Diabetic Zone is my strategy for the big day coming up. Maybe you can use it, maybe you can't I will leave that decision up to you. Either way, best wishes to you and yours as we enter the holidays!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diabetical: definition as told by the Urban dictionary

Diabetical Saying, "Aww dude, that's sweet!" is totally inappropriate and downright douchebaggary when describing something sweeter-than-sweet thus, use diabetical, so that it is clear how sweet and potentially dangerous the subject is... So sweet it may give you diabetes, the subject's diabolical plan... Wow, you see how she just unzipped her top so low like that?... That bitch, straight diabetical. Couldnt have said it better myself. And so my 1st, ok ok maybe like my 4th attempt at blogging shall begin.

Happy New Year

This being the last day of the year I thought that this day of all days deserves a post on the blog. New Years Eve is a time of reflecting and I have to be honest with you all, I am not all that jazzed about reflecting on the past year. Each year as take down the Christmas tree I place all the fragile ornaments in their holders/tubs/wrappings, usually the last thing to go is the angel at tree top. As I remove her I wonder to myself what will my life be like the next time I see her, lately I add to that wonderment the question, "will I even be around next Christmas?". I think that it is a legitimate question when you reach the half century mark and beyond, especially when I think to myself that my late husband was just 50 when he died. In a few short months I will be older then he ever was. He died just a week shy of his 51st birthday. That is a strange feeling since he was always older then me by 6 years. So my own sense of immortality is called to the forefront as I mar

Lizard spit

Gila Monster spit to be precise. I am finding that you can take the girl out of the desert, but you can't take the Gila Monster out of the girl. For those wondering, the Gila Monster is a desert dwelling lizard, its suppose to be highly venomous. In all my years of living in the desert I never had the pleasure of meeting one in person, they are quite elusive, but you learn to avoid certain indigenous species in the desert and this is definitely one to avoid. So imagine my surprise when I found out that this ugly spud of a creature ( actually they are quite beautiful in a quazi motto sort of way) is what is keeping me alive! I inject Gila Monster spit every day, twice a day and it in turn regulates my blood sugar, ergo, I don't slip into some random diabetic coma, or find that my kidneys have failed or my legs must be amputated. Don't worry I am not under the care of some witch doctor, or voodoo queen, high priestess, medicine woman, though my doctor has the exotic looks of